Thursday 23 June 2011

Denali: Won't Run on Windows XP

I've just come across the fact that the next version of SQL Server (Denali) will not run on Windows XP. At first, I was a little shocked but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. After all, lest we forget that XP is now the n-2 version of Windows.

I suppose its a credit to Microsoft that Windows XP is in still in such widespread use and its quality has meant that a lot of companies are reluctant to upgrade, particularly with the issues surround Vista.

Personally though, it doesn't bother me that MS won't be supporting Denali on XP as typically I would be running the software on a Server OS such as Windows 2008/R2 athough I guess this may be different for editions such as Express.

For me, i'd be much more interested in knowing whether Denali tools were able to be installed on XP as this is often where I manage by SQL Servers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

/* add this crazy stuff in so i can use syntax highlighter